Electrical Service Upgrade

Electrical Service Upgrade

Do you need an Electrical Service Upgrade?

Do you have the power you need for your home?

When you plug something in an electrical outlet or your AC or heat comes on, do your lights flicker?

Do breakers trip when you turn on the microwave, or when you use your hair dryer?  If so, then chances are you will need a service upgrade.  Before we get into what a service upgrade is and how you can benefit from having one, please read the following paragraph.  It can save you thousands of dollars.

Do not pay twice!!! Don’t lose your power!!

Installing a new electric service should only be done by a licensed electrical contractor and are the only ones that can legally do the work.  Do not be fooled by a DIY or handyman telling you they can do the job at a lower price. Side job electricians are not even alllowed to do electrical work.

So what happens?

You hire somebody other than an electrical contractor.  They do the work, you pay them and they leave. Now it’s time to turn your power back on but guess what, the power company will not turn your power back on.

The reason being is only a licensed electrical contractor can do this job.  All electric service upgrades and panel upgrades involve the Power Company and local building department. A permit must be pulled and all electrical work must be inspected and signed off by a licensed inspector. Only then will the Power Company come back and turn on your electricity.

Now you have to hire an Electrical Contractor, he will have to pull a permit and in most cases, redo what was done.

What is an Electrical Service Upgrade and do I need one?

The electrical service is where your home gets power from the utility department. All homes and business have them.  Depending on the age of your home, where it’s located and what the electrician installed are the determining factors on what type of service you have.

Without an electric service, the electricity in your house would be non-existent. Your electrical service will have a meter which tells the utility department how much electricity you are using, service entrance wiring and some means of disconnect. If there is no means of disconnect, you have a serious problem on your hands. 

The means of disconnect is a way to shut off all electricity to your home or business in the event of an emergency or there is an electrical problem.   Furthermore, your service and panels must be properly bonded and grounded to make sure in the event, if there are any faults; the faults will go straight to the earth. Proper bonding and grounding save lives.

What size service do I have on my house?

An electrical service is determined by how many amps the overcurrent protection and wiring are rated for.  Another name that is commonly used for overcurrent protection is a main breaker or main fuses, which protect the electrical components that make up your home. 

You should be able to view how many amps your meter and panels are rated for on the panels themselves.  If it’s old, then you may not be able to see it. If this is the case and you can the experts at In Charge Electric and we will be able to open the electrical service, panels and determine what size service you have.

While your electrician is there, he will be able to give you a complete evaluation of your electrical system.  This is good because many times we have seen incorrect wiring methods with the associated means of disconnect. This is an extreme fire hazard.

What size service is required on my house?

The NEC or National Electric Code requires a minimum of a 100 amp electrical service but it should be noted that most insurance companies require a 150 or 200 amp service in order to get insurance.

If you have been notified by city, utility department or your insurance agency, that you need a new electrical service, you may wonder what you should do.

The first thing to do if you have gotten a notification, or you know it’s time to get an upgrade is to call In Charge Electric at ###-###-### or use the service request form above.  We can examine your electrical service and give you an exact price to the penny on how much it will cost you to get a new electrical service.  We also have several options to choose from.

We will fill out all the necessary paper work and obtain all permits that are needed.  We will also coordinate with your local utility, so we can get your power on quickly.  We also have an option where we can install a temporary generator on site, so you can still have some power in your home.

We take the stress away!

Service Upgrades can be complex and be stressful. If you call on us, we guarantee that upgrading your new service will be done on time, and we will handle everything so will not have to be stressed or worried.  We offer unparalleled guarantees on your main electric service too! In Charge Electric at (352) 350-7878 or please request service from our contact page and we will rescue you from your electrical problems in a flash.

Request Service

* indicates required field.